Friday, May 25, 2012

Thyroid update

Well I'm writing this from my bedroom which I have spent the past day in a half in. On Tuesday morning what I thought was going to be my first dose of radiation was really only a dose of iodine with a low dose of radiation. The medication is given so any remaining thyroid cells or thyroid cancer cells would show up stronger/brighter on the scan I had scheduled for the next morning. A tad different than what I initially thought. Here I spent the night away on Tuesday thinking I was protecting my family because I thought I was a risk being near them. Its laughable now, but I missed out on a whole day of work and tucking my boy in bed.

We returned to Abbott on Wednesday morning for the scan. The first 10 minutes the machine moved really slow and close to my head/neck area. After that was done, the machine positioned over my head and scanned my head to my knees. This process took another 30 minutes. It really wasn't all that bad. I actually enjoyed the quietness and relaxation. Once the total scan was finished, I waited out in the waiting room with Kendall. Within 15 minutes the tech called us back to go over the findings with the doctor on duty. The scan showed some remaining thyroid cells or cancer in the neck. Amen!! I'm thankful if cancer is present, it stayed put and hadn't spread to my bones or lungs. With the findings, the doctor on duty and my endocrinologist in Maple Grove decided that I would be given a dose of the radiation in hopes of killing what is showing up on the scan. Most doses range from 100 to 200 and my dose was around 101.4. The pill came inside a large white container that the tech didn't touch ... inside that container was another container and inside that was another container which held a single gray pill. The tech tipped the bottle in my hand and I took the pill. I actually was given a card that I will carry with me for 6 months. I was told I could set off any radioactive screening such as in the airport and this would be my "get out of jail free" card.

I was given a list of do's and don'ts. And one of those do's is why I am writing from my bedroom. I need to confine myself for 3 days away from anything and everyone. Its been the hardest part not being able to hug and kiss my boy. Talking to him with a door between us is quite comical. Whatever Jake can slid under the door he passes it through. Then he would ask to come in. I keep reminding him that mommy took some medicine that could make him sick. Kendall has been so wonderful! Taking care of Jake and making sure I'm okay. I can't share nothing ... bathroom, utensils, laundry. And the real sucky part is, I shouldn't be around young kids or pregnant women for 7 days.

As for how I'm feeling, I'm still tired and I can't wait to resume taking my thyroid medication on Saturday. I have tightness in my neck area but this is a good sign ... the radiation is doing its job. My stomach has been upset today and I've managed to sleep quite a bit today so that has helped me deal with the stomach issues. Overall the worse is over and I cant wait to tuck my boy in bed. I'm scheduled for another scan next Tuesday morning to see if there are any changes and also to give the doctors a good base line to look at for future scans.

I want to take this opportunity to say thank you to my family and friends who have called and sent messages giving me their thoughts and prayers. It means so much to be loved and cared for by so many.

No comments: