Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Thyroid Update

Met with the Endocrinologist this morning in Maple Grove to go over "post" surgery information. We decided that having the Iodine Radiation treatment will be beneficial for me. I won't know any details until I hear back from the doctor's office in a few days. As of right now, I'm tentatively scheduled for the week of May 21st to have a full body scan done at Abbott. This scan will determine how much radiation I will take and if the cancer spread, ect. The doctor mentioned that more than likely if cancer was present in the two lymph nodes removed at surgery that cancer would be present in other nodes. This won't make my prognosis worse but together we will keep on top of it with yearly checkups.

3 weeks prior to my treatment I will stop taking my thyroid medication. By doing this any remaining thyroid (cells) will be hungry for the iodine during treatment. The thyroid is the only thing in the human body that thrives off iodine. The main side affect to being off the medication will be tiredness. And within a couple of days after the treament I can start taking my medication again. We asked about me staying away from everyone and the doctor said not really but of course you wouldn't hold a baby up by your neck for a few hours or not wash your hands after using the restroom. He also mentioned that I would be getting more information at the time of treatment.

So I guess this is all I have to report as of right now. I will continue to feel better and my incision is looking really good. Still can't sing loud but I'm working at it :) haha

Hope this better helps discribe the whole treatment process .... http://thyroid.org/patients/brochures/Radioactive_iodine_brochure.pdf

Incision is healing nice

No comments: