Monday, November 28, 2011

Our Weekend - Happy Thanksgiving

For Thanksgiving, I suggested that we {Kendall, Jake and myself} join Ashley/family and Adrien/Brock at Ashley and Trevor's house to celebrate Thanksgiving with not only them but their mom, Debbie and her family too. Putting together all awkward feelings aside for one day to celebrate what we're all thankful for .. FAMILY! We are so blessed and thankful for everyone in our lives. I'm grateful that our families are open minded and can embrace what life has to offer. {Even though it may not be the "norm" for some of you.}

We had a wonderful time, lots of laughs, less running from house to house and the girls said more than once, "this is the best Thanksgiving EVER!" Even at 30 and 24 those moments mean the world to them! I really wish others living in blended families could put aside their "negative" feelings and thoughts for one day, you won't be let down when you see how happy your kid's faces are no matter what age. The holiday is all about giving, right?!?

After celebrating in Spicer, we headed to Monte on Friday afternoon to spend the weekend at my parents house. We had a wonderful time. We planned our big turkey meal for Saturday afternoon. To help ease the stress and helped on the pocket book, we put mom in charge of the turkey and mashed potatoes/gravy while the rest of us brought the other fixings.

I really enjoyed making my grandma Nellie's stuffing. We haven't had it since my aunt Janet stopped hosting holidays 3 years ago. Oh how I've missed it. :) My sister was in charge of desserts, milk and dinner rolls. She brought pumpkin and apple pies for dessert which by the way was amazing! My brother had the job of bringing veggies. He put together a California medley bake! I'm telling you, my 1200 a day calorie count went out the window on my first helping. I'm so grateful our family loves to cook and bake. {And we're good at it too!}

Between "feedings," we kept busy watching movies, spending time out in the garage where Kendall and Jon decided to do some extra decorating, my sister and I spent some time down at my aunt Debbie's looking through old pictures and scanning new. We also made a trip over to aunt Janet's on Friday night to see baby Jaden. He's so cute and such a good baby. So glad I finally got to meet the little guy.

Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving!! We sure did. Now the time as come to start putting up Christmas decorations.

No comments: