I had my first annual doctors visit yesterday post surgery. Hard to believe it has been one year since my thyroid surgeries. First I was set up with a ultrasound on my neck area followed by a follow-up visit with my Endocrinologist to go over the ultrasound and blood work I had done a week earlier.
We had a good hour or so between appointments so Kendall and I did a little shopping at Sam's Club. It never fails, we can never walk out of there spending less than a $100 dollars. I think everything in the store is $20 bucks each and I guess each one adds up apparently. :)
Soon it was time for my follow-up appointment with Dr. Lim. She is so nice and puts everything into "normal" terms for us to understand. Going over the ultrasound, she didn't seen anything and thought everything looked good. My blood work shows me on the hyper side (which she wants me to be since presurgery I was hypo). With my young age, its okay for me to be on the hyper side for long periods of time. I will stay at those levels until she sees fit.
My 5 year plan - Yearly ultrasounds and blood work every 6 months to check thyroid levels.
After 5 years if I continue to stay heathy, those yearly visits will go to every other year until I hit my 10 year mark. If I continue to stay healthy after 10 years, they consider me "out of the woods" and cancer free!
To celebrate my 1st year post surgery & good health, we went to Mexican Village and I ordered fish tacos. Yummy!
I want to take this time to thank all of my family and friends who took time out of their day to say a little prayer for me. It means so much having a strong support system that I know I can count on to be by my side. I know "thyroid" cancer is the cancer to get (as crazy as that sounds) but, its still cancer. I had never been so scared when I heard Dr. Kissner say "you have cancer." One year later, I can honestly say that I'm gratful for all that God has given me to this point and I look forward to His plan in the future. Thank you again friends, family and to the Big Man upstairs.
UPDATE 3pm ---
My doctor just called and said she failed to mention after the first year post surgery, they like to have the patient have a full body scan done. Its the same scan I had done prior to my iodine radiation. This time however, I will be able to stay on my medication the whole time. They will give me a shot right before the scan. This scan will only show any thyroid cancer remaining in my body (if any). I haven't heard from the schedualing department as to when but it will happen within the next few weeks.
Last Jobs... For Now
2 weeks ago

No comments:
Post a Comment