Monday, July 23, 2012

Our Weekend - MN Zoo

We had a free weekend from camping so we thought we would take a trip to the MN Zoo. It was perfect. We hadn't been to a zoo {Como Zoo} since Jake was one. He was super excited and I won't lie, I was pretty excited myself. I hadn't been to the MN Zoo since my days in elementary school.

From the moment we stepped foot in the zoo, Jake's full attention was to find the Dinosaurs! We had to remind him that there was more animals to see but we would keep our eyes and ears on Dino radar. The first area we walked through ... the Russia's Grizzly Coast - sea otters, brown bears, wild boars, Gizelles, prairie dogs, camels and wild horses. We had perfect timing with the bear jumping in the water to cool off. So neat!

Our next stop was the DINOSAURS!! What an awesome area. All the dinos were motion censored and a few actually interact with you by spitting water at you. Jake was in heaven. We could hardly keep up with him and he was naming them off left and right. Shocked us and the people around us. On our way through the dino gift shop, Jake picked out a T-Rex. The boy was in his own little world from that point on.

After our dino experience, we rode on a horse drawn wagon up to the farm. Here Jake fed the goats, pet the cows, saw bunnies, and took funny cut out chicken pictures. Oh and we saw a dairy cow being milked. Funny watching some of the "city" folk. I'm some of the kids had no idea where dairy comes from. For most of you may already know, my hubby can make really good farm animal sounds so walking by the chickens he decided to cluck. We had 3 chickens following us. I'm betting they would have left the farm if Kendall would have continued. On our way out, we rode the tractor pulled wagon passing the bull and horses.

By the time we left the farm area, the weather was getting a bit warm so we made a bee line for the Discovery Bay area where it would be much cooler. On our way to the marine area, we walked past a moose, a tiger relaxing, and caribou. In the marina, we saw a sharks, "Nemo" fish as Jake would put it, and the sting rays.

Our zoo trip was so much fun and I'm so glad we took the time to make the trip. I'm thinking our next family outing will be to the MN Science Museum. With the reaction we got from Jake, I'm sure he will be excited once again.

No comments: