I had my thyroid surgery this past Monday (23rd) in Maple Grove. Surgery was set for 8:30am with a 7:30am check in. We left our house around 6:15am due to the traffic and snow. On a "normal" day it would take us 30 minutes or so. Well, it wasn't so that morning. We drove 10mph for most of the way and finally got the hospital at 7:50. I do not like being late for anything! The nurses got me all checked in and ready for surgery. My parents, Kim and Kendall waited out in the waiting area during my 2.5 hour surgery.
My surgeon came out and said he removed half of my thyroid along with a few lymph nodes that were on the hard side. At that point, everything looked good. I stayed in over one night for observation. I'm not a big medicine taker but did break down a few times so I could get some sleep. Those pain meds are some powerful stuff! And my hospital room was HUGE. I guess I had the largest one in the whole place. I said I felt like "J Lo" from Becker. haha
I was discharged on Tuesday afternoon. I spent the remaining week resting and relaxing. Kendall has be amazing! He's such a good Mr. Mom when he needs to be! Taking Jake to and from daycare and school, giving baths, making meals, picking up the house (on his terms), and tending to his wife. I'm so thankful and grateful of all that he has done and continues to do. I love you so much!!
After being home for less than 12 hours, I got a call from my surgeon. He said that during my surgery the pathology team tested the thyroid/lymph nodes for cancer and there were still a few "gray" areas that needed a second opinion before they would give me a cut and dry answer. My results were being sent to a well known Dr in Wisconsin who would look at my results and get back to us in a week or two. Well two days later on Thursday afternoon I got the most out of body phone call I have ever gotten. My surgeon said that my thyroid and lymph nodes tested positive for Papillary Carcinoma. What?!? I have cancer! I still can't believe I made it through the phone call without breaking down. I stayed calm and tried to finish listening to what the doctor was actually telling me. He claimed that I would need to set up a time for surgery again to remove the remaining of my thyroid. Sure everything was starting to heal and feel better. Now I had to go through the whole experience all over again.
Once I hung up the phone, the tears and emotions came pouring out. How could this be! This stuff happens to other people not me or the people I love. Kendall just held me and let me cry. When I thought I had my composure back, I knew I had to make some dreaded phone calls. One call I was a mess, the next I had myself put together, then the next one was a mess again. I felt like I was going through the grieving process when someone dies. Being told you have cancer is a feeling that only people who have been told themselves can understand. It's horrible!
I'm scared to death but I have to be positive. I have a lot of life ahead of me! I'm scheduled for surgery again tomorrow (30th) in Maple Grove. Once surgery is over and I have healed up, we will go from there in regards to any type of treatment (if needed). My prognosis is positive. I will beat this and live to be an old crabby women!
All I ask from my friends and family is you stay a prayer that everything goes well from this point on. I'm a true believer that prayer is the answer to everything. The Man upstairs loves us and will take care of us in the time of need. I give Him all my worries and feelings of the unknown. He will help me and my loved ones through the next few hours, days and months.
Last Jobs... For Now
2 weeks ago

6 comments:
Jenny, I will definatley say a prayer for you. I am on my 3rd year with papillary carcinoma of the thyroid. I have undergone 3 surgerys and done 4 rounds of radiation. They say this is a very beatable cancer...keep ur head up and stay positive. If u need anything or just wanna ask a question I am here! You are in my thoughts and prayers...Lori Huntley
Jenny, I am sorry to hear, what you are going through. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Keep your head high, your heart strong, & God Bless ya! Love your blog and what a cutie you have on your hands! Savanna Anderson
Jenny,
My heart goes out to you! You're in my daily prayers & I ask God to intervene and bring you strength & healing.
Keep your spirit strong!
Lots of love,
Kathie Arndorfer
Hey Jenny....So sorry to hear this. You are a strong woman and I know you will get through this. I love you and have you in my prayers daily!
That last comment was from Heidi :)
Thank you girls!! It means a lot to know I have people who truly care for my well being. Really sore but doing okay. Thanks again. Love Jen
Post a Comment