Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Our Weekend - Labor Day Party

Well another year has come and gone .... We held our annual Labor Day party over the weekend. Friday was spent cleaning inside the house and organizing the outside/garage. A person doesn't realize how much work goes into hosting a party of this "magnitude" :) haha

My parents made the trip after mom was finished with work on Friday afternoon. It was great having them come stay again. I'm sure we will be seeing them more after Dad retires next month. (The count down as begun!) We grilled pork chops on Kendall's new pellet grill for supper. They were delicious! After supper, I washed and wrapped 45 potatoes for the next day before calling it a early night.

Saturday morning Dad and Kendall were busy setting up tables in the garage making sure we had room for all the food we were about to consume. I made up a potato bar again this year. Its always a big hit! My brother Jon brought 4 dozen ears of sweet corn, my mom made a ham salad and Uncle Tom brought smoked turkey and chicken. A few others made appetizers to snack on before we grilled supper. So basically no one went hungry!

Everyone started coming around 2 and we ate around 5:30. A few kept busy playing the bean bag game and of course a few golf balls were hit. The weather was a little winding but I said, "I'd rather have the wind than down pouring rain!" At least the sun was shining.

We had a few "new" comers this year ...

My cousin Jim/Lori and their daughter & S-I-L, Jamie/Jon made the trip from Willmar/Monte. It was great having them celebrate with us. Jamie has 6 weeks left of her pregnancy so I was glad I could see her before baby arrives. Next time I see her, she's going to be holding her first baby. So happy for her!

We also had Brock's parents (Adrien's boyfriend), Bob and Jean join this years festivities. They are so nice and fit right into the mix. Bob was a party animal and was one of the last men standing at 4am! If only would he have remembered they were spending the whole next day at the State Fair, he may have gone to bed instead of staying up so late! I heard he was a trooper and lasted the entire day.

After everyone ate and food was put away, we enjoyed some warmth next to the bonfire. And what Kragenbring party isn't without music. Kendall had both his speakers up and blaring. I of course walked by the controllers a few times to turn it down. I try and remind him we're not deaf and we like to talk not yell when conversing with others next to us. MEN!

I think I called it a night around 1:30am and I finally fell asleep around 4am when the music was shut off. I'm thankful that no cops were called this year. :)

Sunday morning, I got up and put together a couple egg bakes before everyone started to pack up and leave. After everyone left, I made a comment to Kendall how empty our house felt and now I know how my parents feel when we all leave to go home from their place. It made me sad!

Yesterday we got up and ventured to see Keean at the hospital. He's going on a 6 week stay. This morning he's having surgery to remove his feeding tube from his nose. Now that he's starting to grab at things, they thought it would be a good thing to have it inserted into his stomach instead. Hopefully once this is done and everything goes well (continuing to gain weight), they will be able to go HOME!! He's a trooper! A little word of advice, the next time you make a trip to McDonalds make sure you donate to Ronald McDonald's house. Its been a life saver for Ashley/Trevor's long stay. We did a walk through the house yesterday and its unbelievable what donation can do. So please, donate!

Hope you all had a wonderful and safe weekend. And for the ones with kids starting school today, I hope the morning went without many tears. I'm sure on the 20th, there may be a few around here.

No comments: